Fear of dentistry has been recognized for many years. Many adults still avoid visits to the dentist out of fear. These individuals delay treatment until they are in extreme pain and at risk from infection. There is also another group of people that do go to the dentist regularly, but with great anxiety. When they see the doctor, their hands start to sweat and their hearts begin beating rapidly. Some have trouble getting numb, or have a very active gag reflex, which makes even the taking of an x-ray an odyssey. Other patients just fear dental injections, dental instrument noises and greatly dislike the taste of the materials being used.
If you belong to any of theses categories, or if you just want to take care of all your dental needs in one visit, there is good news! It is possible to get dental treatment done in a very relaxed environment with you being totally unaware of it. The best part is that the medications used for IV sedation will cause lack of recall, so you won’t even remember any details of the appointment.
IV Sedation Dentistry is a technique that is available at Drakeshire Dental for all those patients who have been putting off necessary dental treatment. Dr. Nava and her staff are trained to make patients relaxed and comfortable through the administration of intravenous drugs, while still allowing them to be awake and responsive. The team at Drakeshire received their training at the University of Southern California, under the direction of Dr. Stanley Malamed, who is world renown in the field of dental anesthesia. Because of this training, fearful patients, medically compromised patients as well as patients with other types of disabilities may be treated at our facility.
1. The onset of action of intravenously administered drugs is very rapid. It takes just seconds!
2. The IV route of sedation is indicated in the management of persons who are medically compromised and unable to tolerate stress in a normal way.
3. Patients with mental or physical disabilities can often have their treatment completed in one visit.
4. The drug dosage can be tailored to meet your specific needs. Some patients need less medication than others. Because we administer just enough sedation to make you completely unaware of the treatment, the procedure is very safe.
5. The recovery period is significantly shorter than other techniques like oral, intramuscular or intranasal sedation.
6. The side effects of nausea and vomiting are very uncommon.
7. Gag reflex is diminished and allows “gaggers” to comfortably have treatment completed.
Before your IV Sedation Dentistry appointment, we will ask you to come for a consultation. At this appointment, we will do a complete evaluation of your health status including a review of your medical history and medication list as well as record some important readings such as blood pressure. At this time we will give you oral and written instructions for the next appointment. It is important that you have an escort to bring you to the office and to take you back home.
On the day of the appointment, we will make sure you are comfortable. We may use oral sedation (pills) for you to take home before the appointment. We may also use nitrous oxide gas before starting the IV. You will be wrapped in a warm and cozy blanket and will be monitored at all times, so we constantly know the status of your blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen levels.
In what seems like only minutes, the appointment is over! The next day you will have little or no recall of what happened, but you will see the healthy and beautiful smile you have wanted for so long.