Air Abrasion, better known as “drilless dentistry” is a way to remove decay from the tooth without the use of dental drills. It’s a technique that uses compressed air and it works like a sandblaster removing graffiti from walls. The air abrasion hand-piece blows a stream of tiny aluminum oxide particles out of its tip and onto the tooth. The abrasive particles bounce off the tooth and polish the decay away. Advantages of Air Abrasion procedures:
- Virtually painless–local anesthetic is not required.
- There is no odor involved with the decay removal.
- The technique has no vibration and it’s very quiet.
- It dissolves tooth structure very precisely and removes less of your tooth than a drill does.
- Treatment time is usually shorter than with procedures involving a drill.
- This technique allows us to treat pregnant women because no anesthetic is needed.
Air abrasion is a very good option for children or anyone who may be afraid of the vibration of a regular dental drill. It is another example of how Drakeshire Dental offers the most advanced technology to provide you with the best care.